Senior Chemist (Consumer Products)
Company: SGS North America
Posted on: April 28, 2021
Company Description SGS is the global leader and innovator in
inspection, verification, testing and certification services.
Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in
quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries
and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and
laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by
assuring quality and safety of products and services.Trusted all
over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion,
pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas.
We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will
be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.Job
Description As the Senior Chemist, you will evaluate the chemical
and physical properties of various organic and inorganic substances
for consumer product testing purposes. Independently conducts
sample analysis, preparation, extraction, and digestion with and
without the use of instrumentation following official methods and
laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Provides technical
support to junior members and may serve as a team lead.Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Develops, reviews submit, and files reports on client sample
tests, correlation tests, calibration, validation, and other
- Performs routine operation, maintenance, calibration,
qualification, and ability to troubleshoot laboratory
- Develops and validates analytical methods, Standard Operating
Procedures (SOPs), and other operating, safety, and quality
- Serves as a primary trainer for Chemists and Junior Chemists
and Data Analysis.
- Provides technical training, advice, and support to the junior
members as required.
- May serve as a team lead.
- Inputs and maintains technical information as needed to support
the laboratory functions/operations.
- Completes laboratory tasks and assignments within tight
- Manages multiple projects as assigned.
- Maintains Laboratory Notebook.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Qualifications Required:
- Master's Degree in a Chemistry discipline BA, with extensive
experience, may be considered.
- 4-7 years of years' relevant experience in Analytical Chemistry
- Language Skills: English - Intermediate level required
- Must be a subject matter expert in one of the 3 areas.
- Spectroscopy. Extensive experience in inorganic analyses
including heavy metals. Hands-on experience with ICP/OES, ICP/MS,
XRF as well as microwave digestion.
- Liquid Chromatography. Extensive experience with HPLC, UPLC,
LC/MS/MS, IC. Experience with analysis of plastics, additives, and
extractable a plus.
- Gas Chromatography. Extensive experience with GC, GC/MS
Headspace, and thermal desorption analyses. Experience in the
analysis of plasticizers, dyes and additives a plus.supervisory
experience a plus.
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required
- Understanding of the company Quality Management System ISO 9001
and ISO 17025 requirements in related tasks
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to execute detailed but uninvolved written or oral
- Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are
accurate and completed with the required timeframe
- Strong attention to details required
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Strong time management skills and organization skills
Additional Information SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as
such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job
classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a
protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.To
perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without
reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are
representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities
required.This job description should not be construed as an
exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements,
but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein
restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time.If you are applying for a
position within the United States and you have difficulty
completing the on-line employment application because of a
disability, please call for assistance and leave a message. You
will receive a callback. Please note, this phone number is not for
general employment information but is only for individuals who are
experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a
Keywords: SGS North America, Fairfield , Senior Chemist (Consumer Products), Other , Fairfield, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!